December 22, 2011

Deck the Halls 4: The Food

I love to bake...I think part of it has to do with the fact that my mom never really let me when I was younger because she said I made too much of a mess.  So now that I am a grown-up and have my very own kitchen, it's one of those I do it cause I can!  Well, this holiday season may have nixed that desire, or at least squelched it for a bit, because I swear I have spent the majority of my last few days (and the next few for that matter) in the kitchen.  Don't get me wrong...I loved doing it (and especially sampling some of the yummy results...I am very preggo in fact!), but even I can admit that I may have gone a bit overboard this year!
There was the first round of baked goods gift giving for Colton's teachers: my Tiger Butter.  I shared the recipe last year, but I have to do it again because it is honestly one of the most delicious/easiest/affordable options that I use each year to give as add-on gifts (you know this stuff plus like a small Starbucks gift card) to people.  While the recipe has not changed, my picture taking skills (or camera) have gotten much better, so here is a mouth-watering shot to get you intrigued.

Then, I spent another day making these Red Velvet Cheesecake Cookies.  I am particularly proud of this one because it is the first recipe I truly kind of created.  Let me backtrack a little...I was invited to a Cookie Exchange at a friend's house.  Wanting to try out something new and holiday-ish, I started looking through Pinterest, etc and came across some Red Velvet Cookies.  They looked good, but lacked a bit of pizzazz.  Then, I discovered a cheesecake filled Red Velvet Cookie recipe, but said recipe called for baking cookies 3 at a time.  Now, I would maybe consider that except I had to make like 3 dozen...seriously?!?  Knowing there had to be a better way, I combined some of this recipe, some of that, and some of my own intuition.  Then, I crossed my fingers, baked these up the day before the party (in case they were an epic fail), and patted myself on the back when they actually turned out pretty damn tasty!
Here's the details:
Red Velvet Cheesecake Cookies

Cookies:
  • 1 pouch sugar cookie mix
  • 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tbsp. red food coloring
Cheesecake Filling
  • 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
1.  Combine all cheesecake ingredients in mixer and mix well.  Line a small baking pan with parchment paper.  Use a 1/2 tsp-size scoop to form cheesecake balls.  Put in the freezer for at least 2 hours (I did mine overnight).
2.  When ready, preheat oven to 350.  Mix all cookie ingredients until well blended.  Remove cheesecake balls from freezer.
3.  To assemble cookies, scoop out about 1 tbsp. cookie dough.  Flatten it in your hand like a pancake.  Place one cheesecake ball in the center...I took a picture in case that's confusing:

4.  Roll up sides of cookie dough around cheesecake ball.

5.  Bake 11-13 minutes.  
I debated drizzling mine with white chocolate, but decided against it because I felt like it would take away from the other tastes.  It certainly would have made the cookies pretty, though, so let me know if you decide to try it that way!  
I know I say it often, but seriously, let me know if you try out the recipe (or any of the others) and what you think!

While that should have been enough, I then spent part of this week making my second round of baked good holiday gifts: Chocolate Truffles and Cake Batter Truffles (which were a little better in my humble opinion).



And I'm still not done!  I had my Roquefort Pear Salad to make for our family Hanukkah celebration, my Cinnamon Buns for Christmas morning (which remains one of my all-time favorite, although a bit time-consuming recipes), plus a few others for our Chirstmas Eve Open House!
Sometimes I wonder why I do this to myself, but then, in the end, I'm pleased I did...just a little over the damn kitchen!
How about you all?  Have you been doing a ton of holiday baking too?  Any favorite recipes should add to my line-up for next year?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day...leave a comment