May 10, 2011

Roquefort Pear Salad

I mentioned yesterday that Josh and I hosted both of our families on Sunday for a little Mother's Day celebrating.  My sweet husband was insistent that he handle the planning and cooking, but did ask that I make this Roquefort Pear Salad for the festivities.  The salad is absolutely delicious...like I could eat the whole darn bowl, and while it seems a little time-consuming, if you multi-task, it really isn't that bad!  So, without further ado:
Roquefort Pear Salad
  • 2 bags Romaine lettuce
  • 3 Bosc pears, peeled and chopped
  • 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
  • 5 oz. blue cheese crumbles
  • 1/2 cup pecan pieces
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 3 tbsp. red wine vinegar
  • 1 1/2 tsp. sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp. Dijon
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 clove garlic, chopped
***I am going to list the steps in the order I have found works best for me. Obviously, they can be completed in pretty much any order!
  1. To start, place the olive oil, red wine vinegar, 1 1/2 tsp. sugar, Dijon, salt, and garlic in a food processor.  Mix together for a few seconds until dressing is made.  Refrigerate until just before serving salad.
  2. Next, put pecan pieces and 1/4 cup sugar in a small skillet over medium heat.  Stir frequently until pecans caramelize.  Once they are done, remove them to a sheet of wax paper.  They will start out looking like this:

                      But will finish up looking like this:
              It takes a little bit of time for the pecans to begin to caramelize, so while you are closely watching you can start on the chopping of the pears and green onions.  Once everything is chopped, combine it with the lettuce and pecans in a big bowl.  Wait to pour the dressing and add the cheese until serving.  Bon apetit!



2 comments:

  1. oh my goodness, this looks so delicious! Thank you so much for sharing because i can't wait to make it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to hop on the pear bandwagon -- this looks like the perfect way to eat em! <3 yum!

    Stopping by from Tasty Tuesday! =)

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete

Make my day...leave a comment