December 23, 2010

Cinnamon Roll Christmas Morning

While this year I have been particularly keen on introducing holiday traditions to our young family, there is one that I actually started a few years ago at Josh and my first Christmas as a married couple. It was that Christmas that I first attempted my delicious Cinnamon Roll recipe. This recipe is a tad time-consuming (especially compared to the pre-packaged ones you can buy at the grocery store), but I promise you it is totally worth the time and effort. Just make them Christmas Eve, instead of attempting to fit it in Christmas morning, and then enjoy the awesomeness that I promise these will be. Let's just say if you like Cinnabon, this is your recipe.



Ingredients:

  • 1 cup boiling milk
  • 2 eggs, at room temperature
  • 1/3 cup melted margarine
  • 4 1/2 cups bread flour
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 2 1/2 tsp. bread machine yeast

  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 1/2 tbsp. cinnamon
  • 1/3 cup butter

  • 6 oz. cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 3 cups confectioners sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp. salt

Place the first 7 ingredients in the order above into a bread machine. Select dough cycle, and press start. This will take 90 minutes!

After the 90 minutes, put dough onto lightly floured surface, cover, and leave for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine butter, cinnamon, and brown sugar.

After 10 minutes, roll out dough into 16 x 21 rectangle (approximately) with rolling pin. Spread with butter/sugar/cinnamon mixture.

Roll dough up lengthwise. Cut into 12 equal pieces. Place in lightly greased 9 x 13 pan, cover, and let rise for 30 minutes.

Bake at 400 for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile beat cream cheese, butter, confectioners sugar, vanilla, and salt together. Spread on warm rolls after they are out of oven.


1 comment:

  1. Yum! I love making cinnamon rolls. I'm apart of Junior League in St. Louis and I have to make them in massive bulk to sell for charity - they smell soo good! Ours don't have icing on them, but a gallon of butter. Always a trade off, right?

    Following from Mingle Monday!

    ReplyDelete

Make my day...leave a comment