August 6, 2013

Tasty Tuesday: Orzo Caprese Salad

We're going to file this one under cookout food.  Or at least food good to serve to a group.  I think of all pasta salads, potato salads, etc. like that.  They typically make too much to justify making it for Josh, me, and the boys, so I save them for when we are feeding more people!  I think that's common, right?
While most of my "serve to a group" recipes are tasty, I must admit they probably seriously lack in the healthy factor.  So when I saw this lighter, healthier salad I was so excited to give it a try.  I'm definitely a big orzo fan these days, so I pretty much expected it would be a winner...and it was!
Orzo Caprese Salad
  • 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
  • 1 tsp. honey
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1 pound orzo
  • 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1 bunch green onions, chopped
  • 1 cup chopped fresh basil
  • 7-8 oz. crumbled feta
  • salt and pepper to taste
1.  Whisk honey and red wine vinegar together in medium bowl.  Slowly add in olive oil, whisking vigorously.  Set aside.
2.  Bring water to boil.  Add in orzo and allow it to cook for 5-6 minutes.  Drain under cold water.
3.  Combine orzo, tomatoes, green onions, basil, and feta in large bowl. Add in red wine vinegar/honey/oil mixture and toss to coat completely.
4.  Store in refrigerator for at least an hour.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day...leave a comment