July 5, 2011

DIY Thumbtack Balls

Wow!  It feels like a long time since I have had a quality DIY post to share with you all, but this one was well worth the wait...I hope you agree.  I made these to go in our evolving playroom, but these balls are perfect for just about any room that needs a little pizazz.  I spotted these on Pinterest:
thumbtack balls--cool
my inspiration image
                                             
I was so excited I didn't even take the time to read the original post, this may be totally the same or totally different.  Either way, you're inspired, too, huh?!?   So, let's get started, shall we?
The first step in any good project is rounding up your supplies.  For these, you will need the following:

  • foam balls (I used 4 inch and 3 inch diameter balls)
  • flat thumbtacks (to create 2 big balls and 4 small balls (anyone else giggling...come on, that's funny!), I needed about 5 packs of 400 thumbtacks)
  • spray paint in your colors
Yep, that's it!!!!  Now, your're ready to get started.  To begin, poke your thumbtacks into a line across the diameter of a foam ball.  Once that first line is in place, place another line of thumbtacks above the first line.  Use the first line as your guide and place these new thumbtacks in between two of the first line's creating a little overlap.  Once that line is done, create another line above in the same way. Confusing?  Hopefully, this picture will help:
Once you get the hang of it, just keep poking and filling in the ball until it is completely filled:
Kinda snazzy looking already, right?  But unfortunately, primary colors didn't quite meet my decorating scheme.  So, it was time for my favorite part of any process: spray painting.  I had a green and orange left over from another project, so luckily I just had to buy an aqua blue can.  Truthfully, I would have loved to use some yellow too (to fully incorporate all the colors of the room), but at $5 a can, I decided to sacrifice!  Anyways, I laid my balls out in three separate areas with their paints:

And after a few coats, my balls (hehe...still kind of funny) now look like this:

And in their home in the playroom:

So, that's it!!! Super easy, right?!?  Ready to go conquer your own balls?  Do it!  You won't regret it!



11 comments:

  1. I love love this idea, but am thinking my own two year old son would immediately put the ball into his mouth and bite off the thumb tacks! Is Colton not into the "putting everything into his mouth" stage??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point Mama Bug! Colton is very much in the everything goes into the mouth stage. I should have shown a full view shot of the balls, as they are up high on our very old, very ugly tv, safely out of reach (at least for now) from our boy and more importantly his mouth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phew! I didn't want to be "that" person to tell you ...um...where to put your balls.... but I could just imagine myself calling 911 and saying "My son ate a thumb tack ball...."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in the process of making these right now...saw them on Landee See, Landee Do a couple of weeks ago. Yours look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute! I'd love it if you'd link up to my Home and Family Friday linky party.

    Becca

    becca-homeiswheremystorybegins.blogpspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I took this one on too - yours turned out great! I have never cleared so many stores out of their thumbtack stock before. . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously cute! Now I get it.. you spray them after. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found you through the YHL link party & conquered a similar project for the Pinterest Challenge! I mixed it up just a smidge and made fabric strip balls too. Yours look great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny, I saw these too and want to do them for a wedding shower I am hosting in Sept. They look great and I appreciate the tutorial so now I don't have to figure it out on my own!! They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw the original blog post of these (I think at another linky party) and thought they were awesome. Thanks for the reminder so I can pin them now and your version looks great. Love the bright colors.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How adorable are these? When I first saw the photo I was like "where did she find so many cute colored thumbtacks? And then I kept reading hahaha I love this idea :)

    xo Catharine @ Your Modern Couple

    ReplyDelete

Make my day...leave a comment