February 28, 2011

Little Man Eats

Colton's first birthday party is now less than a month away.  The invitations are in the mail, and we are busy making all the preparations for what will surely be a fantastic, fun-filled day.  For those of you who may be new here, Colton's party will be have a Little Man theme (you can read more about it here, here, here, and even here if you want).  The next step on our party planning agenda is planning the menu (one of my favorite parts of any party because, well, because I love food). 
Colton's party is being held at 4:30 PM because that is right after his nap and usually his best time of day.  Due to the timing, I'm thinking we don't need to serve an actual meal, but more appetizer type stuff.   I guess it's also important to note that very few actual children will be attending Colton's party.  To go along with our Little Man theme, I'm thinking "man food" would be fun.  Right now, we are leaning towards buffalo wings, mini BBQ sliders (BBQ scooped on to the mini potato rolls), and pizza: either sliced real thin or maybe these pizzas in muffin tins from Martha Stewart.  Sound good?  Or you think we need more/different? 
Even more excitingly, prepping and planning for Colton's party also introduced me to the wonderful world of Amy Atlas's dessert buffets.  If you haven't seen them before (perhaps you were living under a rock like me apparantly), here's a few pieces of eye candy for you:


So, after seeing these goregous images, I decided I had to try one myself.  The centerpiece of it will be cupcakes from Carolina Cupcakery, my favorite go-to cupcake shop locally.  In addition, though, I plan to have chocolate covered marshmallows, chocolate covered Oreos, Rice Krispie treats, chocolate mustache lollipops, tie-shaped cookies, and maybe something else?  Of course, we will provided goody bags for people to fill up and hopefully take all this home with them! 
So, what's the verdict?  Enough food?  Too much food?  Oh and by the way...thanks for bearing with me as I obsess over every tiny detail of this little shindig...have I told you before how much I love planning parties?!?

5 comments:

  1. I love all your ideas and there can never be too much food at a party!

    The parties I've attended here in England have all had thin crust pizza sliced up small. Enough to take the edge off until dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the 'man food' idea, that sounds fantastic. That yellow and black display up there is gorge.

    Stopping by from mingle monday. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea. I've never hosted a party, but it sounds like your on the right track! The menu sounds awesome. Stopping by from Mingle Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't even tell you how much I love the little man theme for the party- so fun! The food you are planning sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yummy choice of foods! luv the 2nd pic - candy galore :D

    ReplyDelete

Make my day...leave a comment