November 10, 2015

Dining Room Redeux

When we moved into our house 5 1/2 years ago now(!), I tried to continue our former dining room color scheme into this house. Back then, I was going with a lot of oranges, greens, and browns and so our dining room looked like this...


But the room always stuck out like a sore thumb amongst our lighter, blue/green house. So I finally got around to giving it a makeover.

The best part is that a lot of the elements were DIYed from older elements, so we saved a lot of money. For example, we had owned the lamps since our days at our town house...I just spray painted them blue and they work perfectly on the buffet. As for the plates hanging on the wall, I literally spray painted the ones that were on there white and then handpainted the ikat designs on. And the large abstract art on the wall...well, I created that by just making a bunch of dots. We had the canvas framed left over from my parents, and it was the perfect scale for the space so I figured I just had to make it work somehow. I really love all the color it adds to the room!
Of course, not everything could be DIYed. The curtains came from West Elm. The rug is from Crate and Barrel (although it was one major sale at the time!). And then there's my coveted capiz chandelier from West Elm. I have wanted that thing for as long as I can remember, and my parents were kind enough to gift it to me for my birthday last year. It immediately transformed the space...and maybe even our entire house since it's the first room you see when you come in! It will definitely be listed as an item that will not convey when we go to sell this place!
I swear just looking at the before/after photos makes me giddy all over. I can't believe how much better our dining room looks...and for less than $150...woot woot!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day...leave a comment