March 31, 2014

Celebrations Aplenty

As is typical for late March around here, the last couple of weeks have been jam-packed with celebrating! My birthday is March 19th, and Colton's is one week later on March 26th.  In our house, though, that means more than just a couple events...we like to stretch out the birthday shenaningans and make sure we really enjoy it!  So, literally, we have been celebrating our birthdays for two weeks now!!!
Let's retrace, shall we?  By the way, I have waayy more pictures of Colton's celebrations...of course!
On Sunday, March 14th, I had my first birthday celebration...a night out with my fellow mommy friends at a fun tapas restaurants.  With good food, good drinks, and good company, it was a great way to kick off the festivities!  Oh, and I got a very generous gift card to my favorite local boutique to boot!
My actual birthday was that Wednesday.  I had told Josh that I wanted to just do a family date night for my celebration (in the past, we have invited our families over and it just gets way too complicated, especially considering I'm not necessarily fond of his family....but I digress!).  He did good by making reservations at Steinhibler's, a classic Va. Beach favorite.  The boys got a little dressed up and joined us for dinner.  I was a little nervous that it would be an epic fail, as Steiny's is generally a quiet place and my boys are anything but quiet.  Lo and behold, though, they did great, and it was a perfect evening!
                       
                      
                         
                         
The next evening my sister had organized another girls' night out for me, this time with some of my family and friends that feel like family!  Another night of good food, good drinks, and great company!  And another night where my husband came through big time by stepping up to the daddy plate...without complaint!  He got me an actual gift (another gift card to the same local boutique...score!), but I told him this was his daddy duties were the best gift of all.
 On Friday night, we met with my family (mom, dad, sister, brother, sister-in-law, and niece) for dinner at one of Va. Beach's classic Italian places.  Once again, the boys were rock stars and we had a nice time hanging with family.  And my uber-generous parents gifted me my coveted Nikon 3200.  I swear I am going to learn how to use this thing.

Sunday night, Josh and I managed to get away for a couple of hours to watch some basketball kid-free while the kids hung out his parents' house.  Technically, I don't think this had anything to with my birthday, but I always consider free date nights a gift, so...
                              
On Wednesday, we moved on to Colton's birthday with a vengeance!  He woke up that morning excitedly to find four balloons (since he's now four) in his room, and we quickly kicked off the day with birthday cake pancakes (a little tradition around here!).  For months, Colton had rehearsed that his birthday was after mine, so when he woke up on the morning of the 20th (the day after mine) he was convinced it was his birthday.  It was a bit heartbreaking to inform him he actually had a week to wait.  Needless to say, when he woke up on his actual birthday, he was ecstatic!
                                    
Colton had school on his birthday, but Josh and I showed up in his classroom with sprinkle donuts (his request).




And then we sprung him out of school and gave him his choice of activity.  He chose Chuck E. Cheese, so he and I headed there for a little date!  It was actually really nice to just have my oldest boy with me for a couple hours (Levi was in school), as I never, ever get the chance to just be with him!

That night, we gathered with both sides of our families for Colton's birthday dinner.  He had chosen Shorebreak as his destination of choice.  They have great pizza, but I think he chose it more for the game room!  While there, Nene and Papa surprised him with his big boy bike. That coupled with the bounce house Josh and I got him, I would say the boy did pretty good on gifts this year!





And then yesterday, Sunday March 30th, we held Coltons' big superhero themed party!  I will spare you the pictures and details at this point, but he had a blast!  
So two weeks of celebrating later, I think it may finally be time to put birthday season behind us...at least until next year!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day...leave a comment