August 13, 2013

Tasty Tuesday: Santa Fe Chicken Packets

I don't often look forward to dinners...at least not dinners that I have to make.  Sure, I make them.  And of course, I eat them.  But it's more of an obligatory eat.  After all the energy spent making the meal, eating it just seems to follow in line of steps necessary to get through the night.  Anyone else?
But every once in awhile we have a meal that is so perfect I just can't help but enjoy it!  Usually, those meals are not only tasty, but easy to prepare as well.  And then we even award them bonus points if they can be considered healthy.  In case you haven't figured out where I'm going with this, these Santa Fe Chicken Packets qualify as just one of those perfect meals: easy, tasty, healthy...check, check, check.

Santa Fe Chicken Packets
  • 4 chicken breasts
  • 10 oz. can Rotel, drained
  • 2 cups frozen corn
  • 15 oz. black beans, drained
  • 1/2 tsp. cumin
  • Mexican cheese for topping (I used 2% and probably about 1/2 cup total)
  • foil
  • cooking spray
1. Preheat grill for medium-high heat.
2.  Mix Rotel, corn, black beans, and cumin in bowl.
3.  Tear off a square of foil about 18x12 for each chicken breast.  Spray each with cooking spray and then place one chicken breast on each.  
4.  Evenly top each chicken with bean/corn/Rotel mixture.  
5.  Double fold sides of foil to create a packet.  Be sure to leave a small space for steam to escape.  
6.  Cook 15-20 minutes.  Remove from grill and sprinkle with cheese.  Reseal for a couple of minutes to allow cheese to melt.

We served ours with rice and guacamole (for me, but that's mainly because I have a thing for guacamole).  Seriously, guys, we love this meal!  Try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day...leave a comment