July 25, 2012

It Only Took 2.5 Years...

If you've been a regular here for awhile, you'll probably remember a certain problem area in our kitchen that I have discussed several times...
That picture doesn't necessarily do it justice, but there was this weird blank space between our two sets of cabinets above our runner bar (Josh and I really aren't sure what that thing is called, so that's what we call it!).  
For the 2 1/2 years we have lived here, I have considered what to do with it: open shelving (but Josh didn't want to drill into the backsplash, so it didn't give us much room), some art (but that's not very functional, plus I had no ideas of what kind of art), or a pot rack (but I honestly don't know if I even like those).  While I may be really good (and quick!) about knocking out smaller projects, bigger ones that require either more money or more effort (mainly of the drilling/building kind) generally get put off around here...pretty much because they require Josh's participation and he doesn't really share my decorating affinity.  
So for 2 1/2 years, that spot just looked weird.  And then a couple of weeks ago, I happened to spot a pot rack in a Crate and Barrel catalog Josh was looking at.  I liked it more than a regular pot rack because it had a small book shelf on top of it.  When the price was actually much less than I had expected (especially considering I had a $50 gift card that would cover half of it!), I placed the order and waited anxiously for its arrival.
Now aforementioned pot rack/bookshelf is in place, and I would say that awkward looking part of our kitchen is looking much less awkward:
And here's a couple of views from further away so you can see what the kitchen actually looks like.

The bookshelf portion could obviously use a bit more styling, but over all I'm certainly pleased with the new and improved look.  Now if I can just convince Josh (or anyone else...) to help me build this island, our kitchen can officially be marked as "done"...
                            DIY Kitchen Island



No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day...leave a comment