July 29, 2011

Taking Stock

I saw a commercial today for our local news.  They were promoting a story on taking stock of your financial New Year's resolutions now that the year was more than halfway done...you know the point where you've probably already messed up, but can theoretically still save the situation.
I made no financial resolutions this year, but I did make others, and one of the things I love about blogging is that I can quickly reference my list to check on my progress.  So I did...Here is my original list from Jan. 1, 2011:
1.  Stop biting my fingernails (sadly, I think this was always on my list when I was younger as well...hopefully this will be the year!)  Um, UTTER FAIL...still biting them (even with prenatals supposedly making them stronger)...PATHETIC
2.  Wireless Wednesdays here at the Hobbs abode: Josh and I have developed the terrible habit of hanging out on the computers and Ipads all night.  Let's just say that doesn't lend itself to much quality time with my hubby.  We have decided we will use Wednesday nights as our way to disconnect from the virtual world and reconnect with eachother...let's see how long this lasts?!?  Yep, another total fail (YIKES!)...I think it lasted a week
3.  Find some real "me" time.  Not to sound like the "pat myself on the back" type, but being a mom, housewife, and teacher sure does take up a lot of time.  Minutes to myself end up being spent doing dishes, or straightening up a room, or even taking a shower (gasp!).  It's not that Josh doesn't offer to let me have some time to do my stuff (not often, but he does offer), but I, like most other mothers (I think?), have a guilty conscience for some reason about not spending those precious moments with my husband or baby, especially considering I work so many hours of the week.  I have come to realize, though, that by not taking those small moments now, I may become resentful later on, and that's no benefit to anyone.  So...me time it is!  OK, doing better on this front (the fact that I'm no longer working certainly does help though), although I still have a hard time leaving my baby boy behind unless it is necessary
4.  Respond to people in a promptly manner.  I don't know when I got so bad at this, but I blame it on all my mobile devices.  Oftentimes, I will read a text, email, facebook wall post, even a blog comment while en route, and by the time I get home, I forget about responding....RUDE (I know).  Since I probably shouldn't be checking these things while driving anyway, hopefully this resolution will help nix the two evils...GASP...another complete failure...OK, maybe that's a tad unfair...I have gotten the slightest bit better, but I still am horrible at keeping up with people


So, after that abysmal performance, I remembered I had also made an 11 in 2011 list, so I decided to check on my progress there (I mean, it couldn't get any worse....right????)
1.  Complete my FINAL diet (well unless I get knocked up again, but we'll call it final for now)...15 pounds to go!...well, shit, look who got knocked up, but I will say I was probably at my best weight since high school when I did, so we'll consider this a check!
2.  Go on at least 2 vacations...at least one for just Josh and I (yay for New Orleans in March), and at least one as a family.  My goal is actually to do this every year from now on, but hopefully we'll kick it off this year...New Orleans was a check and now we're discussing our fall time family vaca...I'm confident we'll check this guy off!
3.  Install new carpet in the living room...check!
4.  Complete the guest room and playroom set up...check (although now guest room needs to be destroyed to make room for another baby's room!)
5.  Take Colton to Mommy and Me swim lessons...scratched because my little man definitely needs no more help getting acclimated to the water
6.  Rediscover reading.  I saw someone else who was reading a book a month.  I'm not that ambitious...I'll aim for one a quarter (4 books in a year...pretty pathetic from a first grade teacher, huh?)....check again (well I"m on my fourth...The Help...now)  Yay for iPad at the gym
7.  Attack our front flower beds...they need some major landscaping help, and I need some major Landscaping 101....check
8.  Continue blogging regardless of how many people are reading or not!  I really enjoy the creative outlet this has become...check
9.  Purge my wardrobe, so I can build my grown-up ensemble.  Sadly, I still own clothes that I wore way back in high school, and even more sadly, I still occasionally wear them.  I want to clean, take stock, and start buying pieces that are a little more appropriate...not so much, now we're just back to buying maternity clothes
10.  Get Chipper's behavior in line...probably by attending some sort of obedience classes (again)...yup no go, he's still rotten
11. Come up with a part-time income, so I can stay home from teaching next year (if I choose that path)...haven't necessarily come up with an income, but I'm staying home, so kind of check



At least that list made me feel much better about myself!  Anybody else look back at resolutions?  Successes or failures?
It's crazy to look back at something like that...written obviously with no foresight and now look at all the things that need to be added and revised, mainly complete nursery and complete Colton's big boy room.  Just goes to show, you never know where life is going to lead you.  I guess that's why you should really make a point to enjoy the ride.
On that note, have a fantastic weekend all; enjoy your ride!


1 comment:

  1. It's a love/hate relationship I have with putting my resolutions on the interwebs. Now you have to be somewhat accountable! ;)

    My husband and I need to work on laptops down time in the evenings too. I think it's becoming a bigger issue with today's technology.

    ReplyDelete

Make my day...leave a comment