June 9, 2011

Playroom Tackling: Part 2

Yep, so playroom prep mode is officially in full effect around here.  Now that the room is completely dejunkified (yes spell check, I know it's not really a word, but we're going with it), it's time to start the fun task of adding stuff, primarily decorations, to the room.
This weekend, I decided to take on a few different projects.  The first was our artwork display clothesline.  True, at 14 months, Colton is not producing much "artwork" yet, but he will soon, and I love the look of these adorable clotheslines.  Plus, it was a really easy and affordable DIY project.  To start, I rounded up my supplies:

  • foam paper in assorted colors
  • scissors
  • circles to trace (I used three different measuring cups...1/4 cup, 1/2 cup, and 1 cup)
  • spray adhesive
  • ribbon
  • nails
  • clothespins (I had already painted mine from this project)
The first step was assembling my foam circles that would serve as the clothesline's anchors.  I traced my different size circles onto the foam,  cut them out, and then laid them on top of each other until I liked the combos.  

Once laid out, I used my spray adhesive to put them together firmly

Once the anchors were ready, we headed into the playroom to hang the line.  I had debated using fishing line or hanging wire, but I wanted something bright and happy, so I went with ribbon.  I'm hoping/thinking it will hold up for the long haul.  To help ensure its success, Josh went ahead and nailed each end in for me.  Here he is making a rare active appearance in my little blog:


Once the ribbon was hung, I just glued my circle creations to the ends of the ribbon.  I, then, attached a few clothespins to the ribbon.  And voila...here's clothesline #1 hanging up:


I decided to add another line for extra interest, and now our clotheslines are ready for some artwork (although photos will suffice until our little Picasso does his thing).

I had originally envisioned three lines (I tend to like things in threes), but don't know if there's enough room for another one below or above....what do you all think?

With Week 1 of Operation Playroom complete, our to-do list is getting slightly more manageable.   Here is our updated list (in case you're totally enthralled by this, I went ahead and noted the updates in pink)
  • get cable hooked up
  • get adult seating for room (possibly sleeper sofa---or Genna's sofa/loveseat in August...can I be that patient?)
  • get toy box for Colton's bigger toys---coming from Genna, will need to be painted
  • get child seating for room (beanbag chairs? floor cushions? poofs?)
  • magnetic and/or chalkboard wall--just need to choose a wall!
  • artwork clothesline
  • ABC artwork--possibly this wall decal from Etsy...what do we think? (colors can be customized):
  • Vinyl Wall Art - Crazy Alphabet - C135 - decal sticker
  • hand print artwork

So, tell me what you think...clothesline yay or nay?  Go with the wall decal (anyone have any experience with these things) or try to DIY something?  So many choices, such an indecisive person.  Help me bloggy friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day...leave a comment