February 21, 2011

My Favorite "Diet" Foods

With bikini season right around the corner, I guess it is no surprise that everywhere I go, I hear and read talk of dieting.  Contrary to my last week's gorging, I, too, am trying to slim down, but this is far from my first time at this party.  Oh no...I have dieted off and on for quite some years now, always sticking with the Weight Watchers program, which I wholeheartedly endorse (for whatever that's worth). 
One of my main problems when it comes to dieting is that I am not necessarily a fruit and vegetable fan...like I can probably name on one hand the ones that I will eat, pathetic, huh.  With that being said, I am well aware that my "diet" choices are probably not the most nutritionally superior foods I could pick, but they get the job done.  So, here they are...my power five:
  1. Goldfish crackers...I'm partial to the Saltine or Parmesan flavor.  These little crackers have saved me on several late afternoons as I wait patiently for my husband to arrive so we can eat dinner.  I don't know what it is about that time of day, but I am always starving.  A handful of these little guys keeps me sane and is enough to hold me off until dinner. 
  2. Kettle corn...the Smart Pop! variety...another of my favorite snack foods.  This sweet and salty treat satisfies two key snacking needs.  One bag is 3 points (on the new PointsPlus system), but is actually pretty filling and keeps me going after lunch until the end of the school day (very impressive).

  3. Soup.  Soup is a fantastic diet food, as it is usually low in points, but is also very filling due to the broth.  Of course, the Progresso low point soups are fantastic from a diet perspective, but if we're going to be completely honest, they pretty much taste like their good for you (in other words, they don't taste super).  Sure, I eat them because I kindof have to, but for a real treat, I head to Panera.  Their soups are fantastic, especially the broccoli cheese soup, which is only 7 points for the whole bowl (not including the yummy baguette slice, of course).  The Panera soup makes an excellent dinner.
  4. Vita Muffins and Vita Tops...the chocolate ones.  Not only are these things crazy nutritionally packed, they taste pretty yummy, and again, are really filling (you catching a theme, here).  They are good for breakfast or even a dessert. 
  5. Edy's Loaded...in Chocolate Peanut Butter...my all-time favorie "good for you" find.  Seriously, it really is, well, in a way.  Half a cup is only 3 points and this tastes like a real-deal, guilty pleasure.  The base is actually yogurt with the yummy toppings loaded throughout.  It comes in other flavors, so pick your favorite (or stock up on a few like I sometimes do...every girl needs a little variety, right?)

So, there you have it...this experienced dieter's top "diet" foods.  What about you all?  Do you have any fun finds that might help us out?  Please share

1 comment:

  1. Ohhhh nooo - you just made the 'bikini season' phrase a reality in my head!!! Mmmm and I am currently craving the loaded PB Cup Ice cream which we can't buy here in Germany. I look forward to slimming down for bikini season but I have a feeling I'm gonna gain a few pounds first when we head back to the US first and I devour all of my favorite foods that I can't get here in Germany!! eek!!

    ReplyDelete

Make my day...leave a comment