January 19, 2011

Steeler Sundays

I am a girl, and I was born and raised in Virginia Beach...two strikes that I think pretty much mean I am supposed to be ambivalent about football.  Not so, though.  My dad was raised in Pittsburgh (well, Monroeville to be exact).  Needless to say, he bleeds black and gold, and from the time that I can remember I have been bred to do the same. 
There were the Sundays when I would be picked up from Sunday School and taken to Bubba's Beach Club, a shoddy dive bar down at the beach.  These were the days before satellite tv, and Bubba's was one of the only places that my family could watch the Steelers weekly.  So there I was at the ripe old age of 12 (my brother 10, my sister 8) spending my Sundays in a place where bras proudly hung over the entrance, chanting "shoot the boot" as we watched grown men chug beers out of a shoe after every Steelers score...don't judge: my parents were really responsible parents, I swear, just passionate about the Steelers.  We eventually left Bubba's and began having Steeler parties every Sunday at the house (with some of the sketchy and not-so-sketchy people we had met at Bubbas).  My high-school friends knew phone calls were absolutely forbidden during Steeler games.  I went off to college, and continued to trek to Buffalo Wild Wings every Sunday to watch my Steeler games.  And then there was the Super Bowl: finally the Super Bowl!!!  My family and I piled into a rented van, travelled 8 hours from Virginia Beach to Pittsbugh, to sit at a table in a bar in Pittsburgh that we had paid $200 just to sit at. 

my sister celebrating the Steelers' game-winning touchdown in Super Bowl 43 

my husband with the final score (too bad you can't see it), but he had just finished hugging tons of male strangers
Yeah...it's an obsession.  But more importantly, it's a passion and a tradition, a tradition I have had a blast passing on to my son in this his rookie season.  You see, the Steelers are much more than football to me.  They have given me some of my best memories of my life, family moments I will always remember.  So...Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...baby boy would love to see his first Super Bowl victory:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day...leave a comment