December 16, 2013

Cinnamon Applesauce Ornaments

Every year, I attempt to do a little handmade ornament project with the boys.  Not only do they help to fill in our tree some, but I figure they will provide for some sentimental moments in future years as we marvel at their tiny handprints or recount the memories of making them.  In years past, our handmade projects have been very literal...as in, I've had the boys put their handprints in various forms.  But this year, I decided we get a little bit more hands on.
I did a bit of research and tracked down a crazy easy recipe for  making ornaments (3/4 cup applesauce + 1 1/4 cup cinnamon...and maybe a bit more applesauce to get it to the right texture).  It was so easy even the boys were able to help with the measuring, pouring, and mixing.  Even though we did end up with a pile of cinnamon on the counter after Levi missed the bowl.  As I cleaned it up, I tried to keep telling myself it was just those future memories I was after!



Once the dough was all ready, the boys had an even better time using their cookie cutters to cut out their shapes.


We popped them in the oven at 200 for 2 1/2 hours.  They made the whole house smell amazing.
And when we were done, I allowed the boys to jazz them up a bit with some paint (they take painting very seriously these days!).

And when they were all dry, we hung them on the tree in all their red, green, and cinnamon goodness:)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day...leave a comment