September 6, 2013

This is Me Finale

Holy moly!  I've finally done it!  Today will officially mark the final installment of the This is Me challenge!  For almost a year, I have been answering questions about moi (I got the questions from here if you're curious), and now (theoretically at least) I have my official life history recorded!
This week's topic isn't exactly I like to think/write about, but we gotta get this thing done, so let's go.  This week's topic: death.
What would you like to do before you die?  (bucket list)
I may be a total lame-o, but I really don't have any "experiences" I would like to have before I die.  I do have lots of places I'd like to go (I listed them in the travel section of this challenge), though.
What are your beliefs about death?
I don't exactly know, but I do believe that death isn't the end.  That is mainly because of my experience after my grandmother passed away.  When she passed, all of the grandchildren put something into the casket as a memory.  My brother chose to put a box of Cocoa Krispies in there (because she always had them waiting for us at their house in Florida when we came to spend our Spring Break week...and my mom never let us have them at home!).  Well, after the funeral, we were back at their country club clubhouse for the reception or whatever it's called.  My cousins, aunt, and I were out on the patio talking when all of a sudden someone pointed out a box of Cocoa Krispies laying next to one of the chairs!  Coincidence maybe, but like most Florida country clubs, this place is almost exclusively seniors (who likely don't eat Cocoa Krispies) and the place was closed on Mondays (which it was), so we all took it as some sort of sign.
And to top it all off, we were back at my grandfather's house later on.   My aunt was discussing the above event with my dad who was basically making fun of her for thinking it was anything more than a box of cereal.  As he said it, the Yahrtzeit candle (a memorial candle you light in Judaism and leave burning while in mourning) all of a sudden tipped over and splattered wax everywhere!  Even he was taken aback.
So, yeah, I don't know exactly what I believe, but I do think we have a chance to meet again...
Are you scared to die?
Probably, but it's really not something I think about often because it still seems so far off (hopefully!...fingers crossed!).
How would you like to go?
Uh, how awful to even think about, but I'm probably like most people in that I'd like to just go peacefully in my sleep!  I will go a little out of the box, though, and say I do believe there is something to be said for going before you get too old or frail...like 80ish maybe!
What are your final wishes?
OMG...I don't know!  I'm only 32 and would like to think I have a long time to think about this.  But I do know, want my kids to know that they are loved and to feel that love every day...from me or from whoever may be left (hopefully a spouse, kids, and even grandkids!).
What are your wishes for your funeral and burial?
Again, I really haven't, nor do I really want to, give this much thought yet, but I will probably want to be buried next to Josh.  And I want my funeral to be one big celebration...lots of laughs, good stories, and good food and drink!
What would you like people to say about you when you are gone?
I hope that when I do eventually go (again hopefully not for quite awhile) that people genuinely miss me. Right now, my biggest priority is that I be remembered as an amazing mom and that my boys know just how much they are both loved.  

Whew!  That was heavy...and awful!  Glad it's over...
And glad this little challenge is over!  I'm sure one day I will be happy I took the time to write all that down.  In fact, I have already gone back and read some of my earlier entries and enjoy doing so!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day...leave a comment