March 1, 2012

Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup

We have a couple current food trends going on in our house these days:
1.  Soups: they're filling, yet healthy (read: low points)
2.  Crock pot creations: how did I not jump on to this food bandwagon earlier?  Easiest cooking method E.V.E.R!!!

So this Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup recipe kind of fit just perfectly for us.  And it did not disappoint in any area.  It was crazy easy...like the hardest part was opening all of the cans with the darn can opener.  Plus, it was super filling, and yep...healthy too (I calculated it at 5 points for 1/8 of it, which is a whole lot).

Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 15 oz. can chili beans
  • 1 15 oz. can black beans
  • 1 15 oz. can whole kernel corn
  • 2 10 oz. cans tomatoes with green chile peppers
  • 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
  • 1 1.25 oz. package of taco seasoning
  • 1 12 oz. beer
  • 3 chicken breasts
1.  Place onion, chili beans, black beans, corn, tomatoes, tomato sauce, taco seasoning, and beer in crock pot.  Give it a good stir.
2.  Submerge chicken breasts in mixture.  Turn slow cooker on low for 5 hours.
3.  Shred chicken.  (I had planned to take the chicken out and do this in my mixer, but mine shred so easily that I just did it with a fork in the crock pot).  Continue cooking in slow cooker on low for 2 more hours.  
4.  Serve with cheese and/or sour cream.

1 comment:

  1. Looks yummers! I love my crockpot too! Going to have to try this! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Make my day...leave a comment