January 18, 2012

The Perfect Cupcakes

My love affair with cupcakes began a few years ago when one of my aunts served the most delicious vanilla cupcakes at some celebration (sad I don't remember what we were doing there, but I do remember the cupcakes!).  Anyhow, she told me the recipe actually came from the famous Magnolia Bakery in New York City's cook book, so I immediately went home and tracked down the book to order for myself (obviously these were the days before Pinterest and other fun ways of just getting this stuff on the web!).
  I have made these several times over the years, but not for quite some time.  On the day before Levi was born, though, I was at home, itching to bake something one last time before my dieting would have to commence (and try out the new mixer I got for Christmas!).  I remembered these bites of perfection, and figured cupcakes of any kind were the perfect way to celebrate a birth...right?!?  So, I whipped up a dozen.
These are very simple vanilla cupcakes with vanilla buttercream, but I am not kidding...they are just absolutely perfect!  I definitely can not take credit for the recipe, but will share it with you below (it's all over the web actually, so I'm pretty sure this is not violating any copyright laws or anything!!!).
Magnolia's Vanilla Cupcakes

  • 1 1/2 cup self rising flour
  • 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 4 large eggs, at room temperature
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
Note: the above measurements actually make 2 dozen cupcakes.  I halved everything to make one dozen.
1.  Preheat oven to 350.
2.  Line 12 muffin tins with cupcake papers.
3.  In small bowl, combine the flours and set aside.
4.  On medium speed of mixer, cream butter until smooth.  Add sugar gradually and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes.  Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well with each addition.  Add the flours in 3 parts, alternating with the milk and vanilla.  
5.  Fill the cupcake cups 3/4 full.  Bake 20-25 minutes.
6.  Cool the cupcakes in the tins for 15 minutes.  Remove from tins and completely on wire rack before icing.

Vanilla Buttercream:
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
  • 6-8 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • pinch of salt (***I added this for my preference)
Note: again I halved all measurements to frost my dozen as the original is for 2 dozen.
1.  Place the butter in mixing bowl.  Add 4 cups of sugar (half if making half) and then the milk, vanilla, and salt.  On medium speed of mixer, beat until smooth and creamy, about 3-5 minutes.  Gradually add the remaining sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating well after each addition (about 2 minutes), until the icing is a good frosting consistency.
  ***I have found the frosting works best when used from a piping bag and not trying to spread it!  Also, it may appear runny at first, but once given a few hours to stiffen up, is just perfect!!!***


1 comment:

  1. Ok....YUM!!!! The frosting looks killer! Going to have to try these, thank you so very much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Make my day...leave a comment