October 25, 2011

Glazed Doughnut Muffins

This past weekend, we woke up on a Saturday with absolutely zero concrete plans for the day.  It may sound unremarkable, but I honestly can't remember the last time that happened with football tailgates, the Jewish holidays, birthday parties, etc. dominating our weekend agenda.  To celebrate, I decided to treat my boys (ok and my very pregnant self) to a special breakfast.
I had pinned these Glazed Doughnut Muffins several months ago and had been waiting for an opportunity to make them.  They did not disappoint!  Just ask Colton...although he was definitely more of a fan of the glazed topping than the rest of the muffin.  So, here it is for you to enjoy as well:

Glazed Doughnut Muffin
Muffins:
  • 4 tbsp. butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. baking soda
  • 3/4 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 3/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 2/3 cup flour
  • 1 cup milk
Glaze:
  • 3 tbsp. butter, melted
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 3/4 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp. hot water
1.  Preheat oven to 425.  Grease the 12 cups of a muffin pan (or use liners).
2.  In mixer using medium speed, cream butter, vegetable oil, and sugars until creamy.  Add in eggs one at a time.  Reduce speed to low, and add in baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla extract.  
3.  Stir in flour and milk, alternating between them but finishing with flour.  I did 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup milk, 1 cup flour, the final 1/2 cup milk, and finally the last 2/3 cup flour.  
4.  Pour batter evenly into the 12 cups.  Bake 15 minutes, rotating once about halfway through. 
5.  When done baking, allow to cool in pan for 5 minutes.  Remove and cool about 10 minutes on a cooling rack.
6.  While on cooling rack, make glaze by whisking all of glaze ingredients together.  Once muffins are cooled, dip muffin tops in glaze and allow to harden (about 2-3 minutes).  Dip the muffin tops in the glaze and allow to harden again before serving.

4 comments:

  1. I've made these before, but the recipe I used topped them with cinnamon sugar--sooo good! (I don't think the muffins had brown sugar in them either?) I have definitely thought of glazing them too, so I'm glad to hear that they're as good as I imagined :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! I have to pin this so that I can make these over the weekend! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look so good, they're making me hungry. Following u back:)

    ReplyDelete

Make my day...leave a comment