June 30, 2011

Playroom Progress

Whew!  When you attempt to totally DIY (or close enough) a room, it sure does take some time to complete!  Colton and I have been busy enjoying some time in his new playroom, and I am happy to report that the room appears to be nearing completion.  First, an updated to-do list:

  • get cable hooked up---should be happening this week...Hallelujah!
  • get adult seating for room---a friend has said she has a sleeper sofa available!!!! I have yet to see it, but it's a sleeper and it fits in our budget, so I'm thinking it will work
  • get toy box for Colton's bigger toys---retrieved, needs to be painted
  • get child seating for room ---added chair, now just need some floor pillows 
  • magnetic and/or chalkboard wall
  • artwork clothesline
  • ABC artwork
  • handprint wall art
  • curtain redo
  • flag bunting?
  • artwork for above couch
  • artwork for above tv
  • thumbtack balls for tv basket---started, stay tuned next week for a cool DIY
And now for the progress shots.  The most impressive tackling was the addition of our ABC wall.  You may recall that I decided to order this decal from Etsy.  As with most things Etsy, the colors of the decal were completely customizable, so I ordered it in our playroom colors of blue, green, yellow, and orange.  I am in L.O.V.E with my decal...it completely makes the room.  See?
Another project I tackled was adding some kid-friendly seating to this room.  Luckily, closing down a first grade classroom meant that I had a perfect kid chair that was homeless.  Well, not anymore...
Admittedly, the area is looking a bit bare right now, but I'm thinking some floor pillows in that corner should spruce it up and add some much-needed kid seating.  What do you all think?  You may also notice that I decided to hang my DIY hand print project in this little corner.  I had originally planned to hang it above our couch (when it finally arrives), but now I have another idea for that area.  
And finally, I conquered a little curtain redo.  The curtains were a boring white, which works well elsewhere, but in a playroom we needed a little more pizazz.  I had thought of dyeing the curtains, but couldn't pick which color I wanted to go with, so I had the crazy idea to tie-dye them.  Let's preface this by saying I would never consider tie-dyeing curtains for any room other than a playroom, but thought the blast of color and whimsy might be a fun addition here.  When I got to AC Moore to purchase my supplies, my decision was confirmed when the master kit (containing all the colors I needed and then some) was on sale for $9.99 (down from $29.99!), while each individual color sold for $6.99...hmm, looks like a sign to me.  
So, I got to washing, then rubber banding, dyeing, and then washing again (I did them each in 2 separate loads, although, I don't know if that's necessary).  Here's what they look like now (btw, all that washing and drying shrunk them up a bit, and now they don't reach the floor anymore...oh well):




So, now for my favorite part...a little glimpse of our updated playroom look:
It's getting there, right?  And a glimpse of the other side of the room, which definitely needs much more attention:

What do you guys think?  Fan of the tie-dye curtains?  Can you think of anything else the room needs?  Thanks for all your input; I really do appreciate it!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day...leave a comment