February 16, 2011

Drumroll....

So last week I showed you how I replaced our ho-hum glass shade with an eight dollar Target drum shade.  I certainly liked the shape of the new shade, but the white needed a little spiffing up.
I had covered another lamp shade with fabric a few weeks back.  I considered doing that again, but I have this recent affinity for chevron stripes a la this inspiration photo:
via Shade of Light
So, instead of going the fabric route, I decided my lovely lamp shade would be the perfect candidate for a painted makeover.  To conquer this project, I needed the following materials:

  • stencil from Kelly and Olive (I needed about 2 1/2 copies for my small drum shade)
  • 1 inch painter's tape
  • thumbtacks
  • 1 small bottle acrylic paint
  • foam brush
And now the steps:
1.  Cut off the borders from Kelly and Olive stencils and carefully align them on lamp shade.  This was the hardest part for me because my drum was larger on the bottom than it was on the top, so lining it up just so was impossible.  Therefore, there were parts I kindof had to guesstimate.

2.  Use thumbtacks to mark the tips and bottoms of each chevron peak on the lamp shade.
3.  Remove thumbtacks and stencil paper.  Tear several strips of painter's tape.
4.  Using tiny holes in lampshade as a guide, tape off chevron stripes.  Be careful to smooth down tape completely to prevent leaks when you go to paint.

5.  Apply two coats of paint.
6.  Remove tape, return shade to light fixture, and revel in your DIY genius.


Here's a close up of the final product:
***I plan to go back with some white paint and touch up the few spots that leaked***

What do you all think?  I love how it adds some much-needed personality to our little kitchen.  I am also totally in love with chevron.  I want a chevron runner, chevron rug, chevron curtains, chevron art...too much, huh?  Oh well, for now I'll just enjoy my shade.

2 comments:

Make my day...leave a comment