Unfortunately, though, one thing I am not willing to give up is sweets, especially an after dinner treat. I usually struggle to find something satisfying without going overboard. This past weekend, my sister referred me to a new blog she had stumbled across. Emily Bites features lightened up versions of recipes in accordance with the new Weight Watchers program. On there, I found this recipe for Diet Coke Cupcakes and Cream Cheese Frosting. Considering this is not my first time on the diet rodeo, I am no stranger to the diet coke cupcake thing. They're ok...they definitely do not taste exactly like the real deal, but are certainly close enough to get by. However, this frosting...this frosting takes them from eeehhh to YAY! Even my diet-phobe husband liked the frosting. And at just 4 Weight Watchers PlusPoints for a cupcake and frosting, it's well worth it. So....here's the recipe:
Diet Soda Cupcakes:
- 2 egg whites
- 1 can diet soda (she used Diet Coke and so did I, but you can use anything)
- 1 box cake mix (again you can use any...I used Funfetti, she used chocolate)
1. Spray cupcake tray with baking spray.
2. Mix egg whites, diet soda, and cake mix.
3. Pour into cupcake cups. You should get 24 cupcakes.
4. Bake according to box directions.
And now for the best part:
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz. Neufchatel (1/3 fat cream cheese)...it sounds fancy, but it was right with the other cream cheeses at my grocery store
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
Mix all. Top cupcakes once cool.
And then you get these jewels:
Try em. Tell me what you think:) I don't take it lightly when I say that I really think they taste pretty close to the real deal!