January 11, 2011

Diet Soda Cupcakes and Frosting?!?

It's a new year, which for many of us means we are resolved to once again watch our waistlines.  I actually do not have a new year's resolution to lose weight this year (miracle of miracles).  I am, though, being extra dilligent about what I eat.   When Colton was born, I decided I was going to lose my baby weight and then some once and for all.   I gave myself until my 30th birthday (about one year after Colton was born).  I set a number in my head, a number that truthfully I have never seen in my adult life, and went about dieting and exercising.  Now, with a little less than 3 months to go, I am happy to report I am about 15 pounds away from this weight I thought I would never actually see!  So, I am prepared to be hard core from now until March 19th (my 30th bday). 
Unfortunately, though, one thing I am not willing to give up is sweets, especially an after dinner treat.  I usually struggle to find something satisfying without going overboard.  This past weekend, my sister referred me to a new blog she had stumbled across.  Emily Bites features lightened up versions of recipes in accordance with the new Weight Watchers program. On there, I found this recipe for Diet Coke Cupcakes and Cream Cheese Frosting.  Considering this is not my first time on the diet rodeo, I am no stranger to the diet coke cupcake thing.  They're ok...they definitely do not taste exactly like the real deal, but are certainly close enough to get by.  However, this frosting...this frosting takes them from eeehhh to YAY!  Even my diet-phobe husband liked the frosting.  And at just 4 Weight Watchers PlusPoints for a cupcake and frosting, it's well worth it.  So....here's the recipe:
Diet Soda Cupcakes:
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 can diet soda (she used Diet Coke and so did I, but you can use anything)
  • 1 box cake mix (again you can use any...I used Funfetti, she used chocolate)
1.  Spray cupcake tray with baking spray.
2.  Mix egg whites, diet soda, and cake mix.
3.  Pour into cupcake cups.  You should get 24 cupcakes.
4.  Bake according to box directions.

And now for the best part:
Cream Cheese Frosting
  • 8 oz. Neufchatel (1/3 fat cream cheese)...it sounds fancy, but it was right with the other cream cheeses at my grocery store
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
Mix all.  Top cupcakes once cool.

And then you get these jewels:
Try em.  Tell me what you think:) I don't take it lightly when I say that I really think they taste pretty close to the real deal!

3 comments:

  1. Michelle, I think you look great! I am so proud of you for getting rid of all of the Colton weight plus some. I was commenting to Barbara the other day how great you are at loosing weight. I will have to give these cupcakes a try. Adam is doing some crazy diet and has lost about ten pounds. I really hope he can keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaawww thanks Mary! It certainly sucks but I am determined. Try the cupcakes...even Josh liked them with the frosting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle - Glad you loved them with the frosting and thanks for linking back to my blog! I'm following you now as well :).

    Good luck losing those extra 15 lbs! I'm vowing to get to a *certain number* in my head before my 30th this year too - we can do it! As for sweets I'm planning to try a lightened up sugar and spice cookie recipe (kind of snickerdoodle-ish) this weekend and posting it next week so keep an eye out!

    ReplyDelete

Make my day...leave a comment