December 1, 2010

When I Dip, You Dip, We Dip...

I have prided myself for a long time on being a pretty terrific baker (I know, pat myself on the back, huh). However, I can also pretty easily admit that while my goodies usually taste yummy, their appearance is another sad story. I messily ice cakes, hastily bake cookies into imperfect shapes, and most horrendously coat candies in horrible masses. Well, that is until recently, when I FINALLY found the perfect way to dip and coat those little candy balls (buckeye balls, cake balls, Oreo truffles in this case).

Now, this is not earthshattering necessarily, but I feel like there have to be others out there who used to have their candy balls fall apart in the bowl or gather chunks of chocolate in places while others are bare, so here's my method.

First, freeze the prepared balls (no matter what kind) for an hour if you are running short on time or put them in the refrigerator for a few hours to a few days if you have a little more wait time available.

Next, gather your supplies. You will need a microwave-safe bowl (don't bother with a double boiler...it's way too complicated), a slotted spoon, a small fishing spoon, and some wax paper.


Third, melt the chocolate in the microwave. Check every minute and stir to see when it is ready.

To coat perfectly, use small spoon to drop ball in chocolate. Use the same spoon to roll the ball around in the chocolate, and then remove it to the slotted spoon. Use the small spoon again to roll the ball around a little bit on the slotted spoon to remove any excess.

Finally, drop the perfectly coated ball on the wax paper to solidify!


Step back and marvel at just how awesome you are to have mastered a deceivingly difficult skill!

1 comment:

  1. GIRLFRIEND! Visiting from Mingle Monday and I am in LOVE with this post. Oreo Truffle Balls...my favorite dessert EVER. Now you've got my mouth watering! I think I'm gonna have to make a quick trip to the grocery store later :) Can't wait to keep reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Make my day...leave a comment