September 9, 2010

L'Shana Tova...Celebrating our Addition

That's Happy New Year (for all you non-Jews!)...no, not the fun, champagne-sipping one, the Jewish, sit in temple all day and think, kind. Either way, the closing of one year and beginning of another always ushers in reflection of where I have been and where I am going. Last year at this time, I was preggo...it was early, but I though I was huge (man, I had no idea how far I had to go); we still didn't know if bambino would be a boy or girl, but I, of course, had already picked out names and nursery color schemes for either (logical, right). Flash forward a year, and this year I will sit in temple a little thinner (thank goodness), but most importantly, with a beautiful, healthy baby boy squirming in my lap. Actually, if Josh's wishes are fulfilled, we will not sit in temple long, as Colton will have such a hard time being there that we will be **forced** to leave.

Some have questioned our choice to even bring Colton to temple with us, and for that matter to bring him to a number of the places we have brought him...baseball games, football games, every restaurant in Virginia Beach, etc. These choices, though, underly what I believe to be our most critical parenting choice: Josh and I firmly believe that Colton (and any future bambinos we may be blessed with) are an ADDITION to our lives, not a definer. We have been determined to maintain our former lives as much as possible because, let's face it, that's who we are. Now, obviously our evenings are no longer spent sitting at the bar or staying out until crazy hours if Colton is with us, but we have been successful in maintaining the activities that made us happy pre-Colton as individuals and as a couple. In turn, then, we have been better parents (I think!).

So, there is my rant on this new year: a reflection of where we have been and what new places the three of us will go. What do you all think? Is it too much? Share your thoughts:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day...leave a comment