April 13, 2012

Let's Get Real

Every once in awhile I read a really good blog post.  A post that I 1000% agree with.  A post that I read and think "man, I couldn't have said it any better myself."  Well, last week I was sent a link to such a post.  Basically it outlines the things you should know about motherhood, but this isn't the ooey-gooey, picture perfect version of motherhood.  This girl keeps it real, and I LOVE that!  So, if you're looking for a good read, click here and check it out.
I like to think that I fit in with the real crowd as well.  While I love being a mom, I try to be very upfront about the negatives...not to discourage people, but simply because 1. I believe in being honest, 2. I hope it gives people something/someone to relate to (even if they're not willing to admit it).  In that vein, I am happy to report that we have made it through what I consider to be the absolute worst part of mommyhood: the first 3 months.
Now, if you've been reading here for awhile you probably know I am not a fan of being pregnant.  As I see it, the first three months of baby are pretty much as bad as being pregnant, with the only advantage being that you can at least have a glass of wine to help temper your sorrows.  All through my pregnancy, I kept looking at the 3-month mark as the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel.
Luckily, Levi must have sensed that or something because as soon as the kid hit the big 3 months last week, he has really made huge strides in becoming less needy/more interactive and generally much more enjoyable (no offense dude...I felt the same way about your brother if it makes you feel better!).  How, you ask...well:

  • he sleeps through the night now....generally until about 7AM!!!!  It's been over a week, so I feel safe in saying we've cleared that hurdle...and what a big hurdle at that
  • he coos and smiles frequently, but almost always in response to my face or voice...talk about gratification!
  • while he still can not sit up totally on his own, he can do so with support which means we now have tons of new seating options: the Bumbo, the couch, in my lap
  • that also means I can carry him on my hip...with just one arm!!!  That may not seem like a big deal, but when you're also trying to herd a toddler, it's major!
  • Levi's on a pretty regular eating/sleeping/living schedule.  His OCD mama greatly appreciates the re-found regularity to our days.
  • Levi grabs at and plays with toys.  Aside from being pretty darn cute, it also means that he can independently entertain himself for a little longer. 
And he just looks so much more alive!!!  

So there's a little glimpse into the excitement in our house these days!  I really honestly feel like we're breathing a bit easier, smiling a bit bigger, and maybe even lost 10 pounds or so (ok not really, but how nice would that be?).  On that note, happy weekend to all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day...leave a comment