July 19, 2011

Strawberry Shortcake Trifle

I don't know if it's considered a craving, but ever since I have been pregnant, my usual chocolate-centered self has been swinging in the direction of more fruity treats.  Of course, I wouldn't be responsible enough to indulge in actual fruit.  Instead, I've been opting for things like cherry Slurpees, Swedish Fish, Jelly Bellies, strawberry frozen yogurt, and the like.
On Sunday night, Josh decided that he wanted to grill our dinner (kabobs and corn on the cob...yum!), so I figured I would help out by making us some dessert.  As I rooted through my dessert recipes, I naturally flocked towards the fruity ones, and considering the season, figured Strawberry Shortcake would be the perfect fit.  This Strawberry Shortcake is quite frankly the BEST shortcake I have ever had (I know...I ate about half of it on night one...good thing I'm not getting any skinnier).  The recipe is originally from Paula Deen, meaning you can trust that it is 1. totally indulgent and 2. completely delicious.  Enjoy:
Strawberry Shortcake
  • box yellow cake (or angel food cake if you prefer)
  • 14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
  • 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
  • 12 oz. Cool Whip
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup water
  • 3 tbsp. cornstarch
  • 3 tbsp. strawberry Jello
  • 2 cups strawberries, chopped
  1. Prepare cake according to box's directions.  Set aside.
  2. Combine milk, cream cheese, and Cool Whip and beat on medium speed until well blended.  Set aside.

     3.  Put sugar, water, cornstarch, and jello in medium saucepan over medium heat.  Heat until it begins to thicken (about after it starts to boil...it takes a few minutes).  Now's a good time to cut up those strawberries if you haven't already!  Once the mixture has thickened a little remove it from the heat and allow it to cool completely (I put mine in the fridge to speed the process up a bit).  Stir in the strawberries.
4.  Layer the dessert in a large bowl: cake, cream, strawberries, repeat, and repeat one more time.  Top with leftover cut strawberries.
Try it and let me know what you think.  I can guarantee you'll be in heaven...me and my little bean certainly were!  At least there are strawberries to make it "healthy"...right?


2 comments:

  1. That looks soooo delicious. I am sure my family will love this, so I better get all the ingredients gathered! I was fruit and salad crazy (and I mean CRAZY) when I was pregnant with both my kids!

    All the best and enjoy that sweet little babe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really very glad after read here and I appreciate for the information that you presented here.

    ReplyDelete

Make my day...leave a comment