May 31, 2011

Cookout Fun


I am so happy that summer is finally here.  Among other things, that means that it is time for cookouts.  I must say, cookouts are on my favorite meals to plan and eat.  Honestly, I could take or leave the main items (hamburgers, hot dogs, etc), but my recipes for cookout appropriate appetizers, sides, and desserts are some of my absolute favorite.
This weekend, my parents hosted the first cookout of the season at their house.  I was asked to bring my Baked Potato Salad (among a couple other things), so I figured I would share the recipe with you today!  Seriously, write this one down...it is the perfect cookout food, and one of my most requested dishes!
Baked Potato Salad
via
  • 2 1/2 pounds red potatoes, cubed (my grocery store only sells 3 pound bags, so if you're in the same boat, that works as well!)
  • 8 oz. sour cream
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 bunch green onions, chopped
  • 1 tbsp. bacon pieces
  • 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

  1. The worst part...after cutting all those damn potatoes, place them in a large saucepan.  Put enough water in the pan to cover the potatoes.  Bring to a boil and cook 10 minutes.  Then drain and put in the refrigerator to cool.  (I usually leave them in the fridge for 4-5 hours)
  2. Meanwhile, combine the rest...sour cream, mayonnaise, green onions, bacon, and Cheddar in bowl (I usually do this in the bowl I plan to serve it in and refrigerate it for the same amount of time as the potatoes to let the flavors meld!)
  3. A couple hours before serving, combine potatoes and sour cream mixture.  
  4. Top with cheese, bacon bits, and green onions.  Serve and enjoy!
And, unfortunately, I was so busy in all my revelry that I totally forgot to take a picture of my finished product, but you can get the basic idea from the above picture.



1 comment:

Make my day...leave a comment