November 5, 2013

Tasty Tuesday: Smushed Sweet Potatoes and Apples

I'm not really a huge sweet potato fan.  Sure, I love the Thanksgiving version with marshmallows and loads of butter and sugar, but otherwise I'm kind of eh on them.  We're always on the search for variety in our side dishes, though, and this healthier than Thanksgiving, tasty sweet potato side dish has been a Fall staple in our house for a few years now.  It's a bit of prep work, but I think it's worth it!  Oh, and I promise they taste better than this picture makes them look!
Smushed Sweet Potatoes and Apples
  • 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and sliced
  • 2 tbsp. butter
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. allspice
  • 1/8 cup milk
1.  Place sweet potatoes in medium saucepan and fill with enough water to cover.  Bring to boil. Cook for 20 minutes.  Remove, drain, and set aside.
2.  Meanwhile, melt butter over low heat in small saucepan.  Mix in sugar, cinnamon, and allspice.  Add apples, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes.
3.  Mix apples, potatoes, and milk in electric mixer.  Serve:)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day...leave a comment