July 23, 2013

Tasty Tuesday: Hawaiian Haystacks

Have you ever heard of haystacks?  I hadn't until a few weeks ago, but apparently I must have been living under a rock...or had a mother who never cooked me dinner (which in fact I did) because everyone else seemed to have grown up on them.  The concept is pretty straight forward: put out some rice, some chicken (cooked to some flavor), and a variety of toppings and everyone basically builds their own dinner.

 I love the idea of build your own dinner, so I started researching, and from what I could tell, haystacks seemed to generally be Mexican-themed or Hawaiian-themed.  We do a lot of Mexican around here, so I decided to try out the Hawaiian ones. The recipe I found had you cook the chicken in cream of chicken soup, but to me that didn't seem very "Hawaiian."  Plus, I'm not a big gravy fan and that's kind of what it seemed like, so I decided to switch it up a bit.  I used Teriyaki sauce instead and was happy with the choice.
As for toppings, we went with green onions, pineapple chunks, Chinese noodles, slivered almonds, cheese, and green pepper.
It was such an easy, tasty dinner.  And the boys absolutely loved "making" their own dinner...lots of cheese for Colton, and lots of Chinese noodles for Levi!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day...leave a comment