May 31, 2013

We've Got the Blues...In a Good Way...Maybe

A couple of weeks ago, the professionals came out and gave our front flower beds a much-needed major overhaul.  And once it was complete, I decided to play around in Photoshop and do some mock-ups on our house.  The image was pretty crappy, BUT it did confirm a few things I had long been suspecting.  1.  We need shutters.  2.  The front "porch" could really use some accessories.  3.  A blue front door is happening.
And with that information in hand, I quickly got myself to Home Depot and picked up a quart of paint.  I went with Behr Paint and Primer in One color-matched to Martha Stewart's Aegean Blue.
I love me a good painting project and painting the front door was about as easy and painless as they come!  I knew I would be Orbing the handles (more on that tomorrow), so I didn't even worry about taping them off and just went with it.  About 2 hours and 3 coats later, I had a nice, fresh blue door (and yes, you can barely tell the door is blue because of the lighting and yes, you can already see the orbed handles in this picture because I didn't take the time to take a picture of the blue door on the one day that it still maintained its old brassy handles).

But, of course, I couldn't stop there.  In my photoshop image, I loved the pop of blue that the front door gave us.  But in this version, the white storm door was totally blocking out the pretty blue door.  So I did what any logical person would do.  A couple days later, I painted the storm door as well.  Because I had paint and primer in one, I just sanded the door down lightly and got my paint on once again.
I'm a really lazy/impatient/eager project person, so I didn't bother to tape off the glass.  I probably should have, but a little wipe down with some goo gone at the end saved the day!  Oh and this time I just took the handle off and orbed it while I was painting the door, so these final shots definitely show the new handle as well!
close up

a little further out

and still a little further out

So now our door is definitely blue.  And I'm pretty sure I really like it!  It reminds me of this slightly hoochy dress I wore to a party a few weeks back.  I knew I looked pretty hot in the dress (something I don't usually say!), but I still felt a little "out there" if you know what I mean.  I like the door and think it looks happy, but it's a pretty bold choice, especially in our neighborhood of more traditional homes, so I feel a bit self-conscious about it.  As a boost to my confidence, though, Josh has yet to complain about it...which usually means he likes it...and a few visitors have told me they like it...so we're going with it!
As I reminder, here is our door as its former self...


What do you all think?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day...leave a comment