May 30, 2013

Doughnut Muffins

Confession: most days my boys have embarrassingly easy breakfasts.  Waffle sticks, pancakes, muffin tops (all Eggo!), or cereal are our go-tos.  In my defense, mornings around here are always really hectic, trying to get everyone fed, dressed, prepped for the day (bookbag, lunch, snacks), and out of here in time for the start of school or playdate or what not.  I don't necessarily feel guilty about it, but some days I do wish I would take the time to make them something.
So on Saturdays, I try to make them a nice homemade breakfast of some sort.  I've done the standards: french toast, pancakes of all kinds (even some with M and M's in them that they loved...obviously!).  But one Saturday I got myself a wild hair and decided to give these doughnut muffins a go.  Um, yeah, they were darn delicious.  So good that I ended up making them again for the play date we hosted.  All the moms and kids were thrilled with them, so I figured with all that endorsement, I may as well pass along the recipe to you!
Doughnut Muffins
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup margarine, melted
  • 3/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/4 cup margarine, melted
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
1.  Preheat oven to 375.  Spray mini-muffin pan with cooking spray and set aside.
2.  Stir sugar, margarine, nutmeg, milk, baking powder, and flour together in large bowl.  Fill each muffin section 2/3 of the way up.  Bake 15 minutes.
3.  While muffins are baking, melt the other 1/4 cup margarine.  Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a separate bowl.
4.  When muffins have finished baking, remove each of them.  Roll first in melted margarine and then in the cinnamon-sugar mixture.  Allow to cool (if you can resist) before serving.

I actually made my muffins the day before because I was worried I wouldn't have time the day of.  I experimented by zapping them in the microwave and just eating them at room-temperature, and I personally found both ways to be delicious!  Shoot, I even ate them a few days later and still loved them!  
Needless to say, these are now in my regular breakfast rotation and definitely mentally logged for the next breakfast party/event I plan!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day...leave a comment