May 21, 2013

Tasty Tuesday: Doritos Taco Casserole

I get most of my recipes online.  I've always wanted to be cool enough to create my own, but really why bother.  There's so many good ones already out there!  But here's the thing...I may have created this one on my own.  Obviously, there's other things out there like it, but it was a hand-me-down from my mom that I've tweaked over the years to cater to our own tastes.  The result is something much more exciting than the version my mom used to make for us (although I loved her version as well).  It's a real pleaser recipe...the kids love it, the husband loves it, and I love it.  Shoot, it has Doritos in it, so really who isn't going to love it, right?

Doritos Taco Casserole
  • crushed Doritos (I did about 40 for calorie sake, and it made light layers...if you're not watching your waistline you could probably increase it a bit, but I found the 40 to be plenty!)
  • 1 pound  ground beef (I did 96% lean)
  • 15 oz. bottle taco sauce
  • 15 oz. tomatoes with green chile peppers
  • 8 oz. sour cream (I used reduced fat)
  • 1 package shredded Mexican cheese (I did 2% milk)
1.  Preheat oven to 350.
2.  Brown beef in skillet over medium heat.  Drain excess grease.  Stir in taco sauce and tomatoes.  Lower heat and cook about 15 minutes.
3.  Layer items in 8x8.  Start with meat, then chips, cheese, and a few dollops of sour cream.  Repeat.
4.  Bake 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day...leave a comment