February 16, 2012

The Perfect Valentines Day

So, obviously Valentine's Day was a couple of days ago, but ours was so phenomenal that I couldn't help sharing it with you.  I mentioned the other day that I am not big on Valentine's...and really I'm not.  I love it as a day to acknowledge the people I love in my life, but I don't need/want anything really big/expensive to do that.  
Well, this year that really had to hold true.  I'm not working, which means that I'm not technically making any money.  Sure, Josh and I prescribe to the "what's yours is mine" philosophy, but it still seemed pretty silly to take what was technically his hard-earned money to buy him something.  That's when it hit me...what I don't have in money I can certainly make up for in effort.
And that's when my idea was hatched.  Sure, it's not novel, but I decided I would make Josh and I (and the boys) a special dinner at home...complete with a pretty table and all.
To me, nothing says romance more than candles and soft colors, so I set the table in pinks and whites.  This is what it looked like during the day:




But I must say it was even prettier at night (even Josh commented when he came home and he's not usually one to notice these kind of things):


I also whipped up a pretty tasty meal (if I don't say so myself): a wedge salad,  these twice baked potatoes (which I HIGHLY recommend), and an absolutely amazing Smothered Steak recipe that we have had a couple other times (I'll share it with you at the end of the post...trust me, it is perfect for any occasion that needs a little special something).  


With a pretty table and delicious meal in front of us, Josh and I sat down with our boys to enjoy our first holiday as a family of four (well, 5 if you count Chipper which we do).


Yeah we exchanged presents (I got a Nordstrom's gift card to use to get some Toms...yep, I'm jumping on that bandwagon!), but honestly, the real highlight of the evening was spending time together.  And I really enjoyed working so hard to do something nice for my hubby...with a toddler and an infant, he really does get the shaft most of the time.  In fact, I loved it so much I'm really hoping to make it our "thing" and do it each year.

And as promised, the steak recipe (trust me...make it!):
Smothered Steaks
  • 2 6 oz. (ish) steaks...filet mignon is best, but any will work
  • 2 tbsp. EVOO
  • 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
  • 1 1/2 tsp. dijon mustard
  • 1 tsp. dried rosemary
  • 1 tbsp. butter
  • 1 cup onion slices
  • 1 tsp. sugar
  • 2 oz. crumbled blue cheese
1.  Mix olive oil, vinegar, mustard, and rosemary in bowl.  Place steaks in shallow dish and cover with mixture.  Flip steaks over and allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
2.  Melt butter in skillet over medium heat.  Cook onion slices until softened.  Stir in sugar and caramelize.
***I don't know how to use a grill, so I made my steaks this way.  If you know how to use a grill, that obviously works too.
3.  Preheat oven to 450.  Heat cast iron skillet over high heat until water dropped into it immediately disappears.  Put steak in skillet for about 30 seconds to sear, and then flip to other side for an additional 30 seconds.  Remove skillet from burner and place in preheated oven.  Cook steak (in the skillet in the oven in case that's not clear) for 3 minutes (for medium steak...adjust more or less if you want it more or less well done).  Use tongs to flip steaks over and place back in oven for another 3 minutes.
4.  Remove steaks and allow to sit for a few minutes before serving.
5.  To serve, top each steak with some of the caramelized onions and blue cheese crumbles.




1 comment:

  1. Delish, Pretty Pink, Smiles, and Lot's of Love! Your night looked amazing! Those steaks-get in my belly... NOW! Nice job- and whoohoo for your Toms! :)

    ReplyDelete

Make my day...leave a comment