March 29, 2011

Little Man Party: The Food

Yesterday I shared with you all the fun decorations I worked up for Colton's Little Man party.  Today, I'm going to share with you all of the details on my favorite part of any party: the food!  I usually totally stress myself out trying to make all the food for a party, but this time, I was very careful to avoid that fate.  To go along with our Little Man theme, we decided to serve "man food."  We ordered some pizzas (cut them into small slices and put them on a platter to serve), some wings from Josh's favorite Wild Wing Cafe, and some beer dip that I whipped up (I'll put the recipe for that at the end of this post in case you're interested).
In addition to the man food, though, we had to have something more appropriate for a child's birthday party.  Enter my treat buffet idea.  I fell in love with these while planning Colton's party and might just have to do one every year (seriously, I'm obsessed).  Here's some pictures of it (although unfortuately I'm kicking myself that I didn't get one of the entire scene at once):



On the buffet, we had lots of yummy goodies.  There were rice krispy treats (that I added blue sprinkles to), cupcakes, white trash, tie shaped sugar cookies, chocolate moustache lollipops (again, kicking myself I didn't get a picture), cheesecake balls, and chocolate dipped Oreos. 
I had ordered the cupcakes from a local bakery, but "made" everything else myself (well, with my lovely sister's help).  I say "made" because this stuff was so easy.  I already shared with you how to make the white trash.  The rice krispy treats were just a simple recipe I found online...you know melt the butter, melt the marshmallows, stir in the rice krispies and sprinkles...voila!  For the chocolate dipped Oreos, I just melted some chocolate wafers (they were navy blue ones actually to go with our color theme) in the microwave, dipped the Oreos in them, laid them on some parchment paper, and topped them with a few green sugar crystals.  After having about 4 leftover ones today, I can personally attest to the fact that they were fantastic!
As for the cheesecake balls, they were probably our biggest hit and really easy too.  I decided to save myself some time and used a Sara Lee pre-made cheesecake.  I scooped the filling (not the crust) and formed them into balls.  I put the balls in the freezer for awhile to firm up.  Once again, I melted some chocolate wafers in the microwave, dipped the balls in the chocolate, put them on some parchment paper and coated them with blue sprinkles.  Yeah...pretty freaking fantastic!
Oh, and because we're talking sweets, I may as well show you how much baby boy enjoyed his birthday cupcake:


I think the boy inherited him mom's sweet tooth...

Oh, and for those of you interested in the Beer Dip recipe, here it is:
  • 2 8 oz. cream cheese
  • 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 1/4 cup Guinness
  • 1 oz. dry Ranch seasoning
I usually let the cream cheese sit out for a couple of hours to soften and then combine all ingredients.  It may appear mushy at first, but let it refrigerate for a few hours (or even overnight) and it will be perfect:)

So, there it was.  Our Little Man soiree...can't wait to start planning next year's bash:)  What do you all think?  Any ideas (kidding...kindof!)?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day...leave a comment