October 9, 2013

Easy Fan Upgrade

When Colton was just a few months old, my sister and I were in his room changing him on his table (I guess it took two of us at that point...).  There was also a balloon in there, left over from Josh's birthday celebration earlier.  And the fan was on.  Well, somehow, someway, the balloon got swept up in the fan's blades. After a few seconds of banging, the glass lamp portion of the fan came crashing down, shattering everywhere, but somehow missing me, my sister, and Colton.  If I haven't told it well enough, let me assure you it was crazy scary!  But we got over the initial shock, cleaned up the glass, and left the fan without a lamp.
For the record, Colton is now 3 1/2, and yes, the fan has sat like this, even once the room became Levi's...

Well, this weekend, I finally got the chutzpah to do something about it. First, I rounded up my supplies: a lamp shade with a spider top (don't know if that's technically the name, but that's what I call it), an all-thread lamp pipe, and some couplings (both found in the lighting section at Home Depot).
Once home, I got to work.  I screwed the lamp pipe into the existing coupling.

And then attached another coupling at the end of the pipe about an inch up.  I hung the lamp shade, technically upside down, and used another coupling on the other side to secure it in place.

The whole process took about 2 minutes...which is uber exciting for me as I have a few other places in mind that I may have to try this update out on!
Now that the shade is in place, I have some plans to give it an update (starting with removing the plastic wrap...) and make it the first step in transforming Levi's nursery into Levi's big boy room!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day...leave a comment