July 2, 2013

Tasty Tuesday: M and M Bars

I have to give my cousin credit for these.  Memorial Day weekend she texted me asking a question about an eclair cake that I make frequently.  So frequently, in fact, that I told her I had just finished making it for a cookout that evening (predictable, eh!).  She answered that she was making it for a party the next day, but had made one of her favorites, some M and M bars, for her thing that night.  When she also told me I could find the recipe on her Pinterest page, I immediately hopped on there, found it, and pinned it.
 Of course, it sat there for awhile, but when I saw it this past week, it dawned on me that those little gems may just be the perfect fit for my contribution to our 4th of July party!  And, of course, before making them for a whole crowd of people, I had to try them out myself to make sure they were worthy (read: I really just wanted to bake and taste...could have easily taken my cousin at her word!).  Well, after eating way too many of them myself, I can now confidently tell you that these are, indeed, well worth making!  They're easy and yummy.  Try them.  NOW!
image via
                           
M and M Bars
  • 2 1/8 cup flour
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 3/4 cup butter, melted and cooled slightly
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 2 tbsp. vanilla extract
  • 12 oz. M and Ms (although honestly I would use a little less next time because I liked the cookie part so much!)
1.  Preheat oven to 325.  Line 9x13 pan with aluminum foil with some hanging over edges.  Spray with cooking spray.
2.  Mix flour, salt, and baking soda in medium bowl and set aside.
3.  Stir melted butter and sugars together.  Add egg, egg yolk, and vanilla, and stir until well combined. Using a rubber spatula, fold the dry ingredients in until just combined.  Stir in 1 cup of M and M's.
4.  Spread into 9x13 pan.  Top with M and M's (again be your own judge as to how many to add).  Bake 25 minutes.
5.  Remove from pan by lifting up foil.  Cut into squares to serve.

I had really thought Target would sell patriotic MandM's to make these even more 4th festive, but I have yet to find them!  Oh well, they'll still be tasty, right?!?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day...leave a comment