February 5, 2013

Cheeseburger Casserole

Every few months, I go through my blog and look at the recipes I've shared with you all and actually write them down to add to our recipe box.  But when I last did it, I was embarrassed to find that I hadn't really shared many recipes with you lately...and ALL the ones I had shared were desserts!  I swear we eat more than chocolate, peanut butter, and sugar around here!  

I think I know the problem, though.  With over 200 recipes in my personal recipe box (I've collected them over 10 years or so), we use a lot of old faithfuls...some of which I should probably share with you guys (mental note).  When we do try something new, it has to be pretty fantastic for us to put it in rotation...share it with you guys, write it down for the recipe box, make it again.
In the nick of time, though, we found a winner last week.  Now let me preface this by saying, I have the eating habits of a child.  This meal is certainly not gourmet.  In fact, it tastes just like a McDonald's cheeseburger...seriously!  But if you like McDonald's cheeseburgers (and who doesn't if we're all going to be honest, right?), this is an easy, satisfying dish the whole family can enjoy.
I modified the original recipe to fit our tastes, so feel free to do the same...
cheeseburger casserole
picture via
                                   
Cheeseburger Casserole
  • 1 pound ground beef (I used 96% lean)
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion
  • *1/4 cup chopped dill pickles* (we omitted this because I order my cheeseburgers without pickles anyway, but I figured I'd add it to the ingredient list in case you're a pickle fan!)
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1 1/2 tsp. mustard
  • 1/8 tsp. pepper
  • 8ish slices American cheese
  • 8oz. tube crescent rolls
  • 1 tbsp. milk
  • sesame seeds on top (about 1-2 tbsp.)
1.   Preheat oven to 375.   Brown beef and onion in skillet over medium heat.  Pour out grease.
2.  Stir ketchup, mustard, pepper (and pickles if you're using them) into hamburger meat.  Put meat in bottom of 8x8 dish.
3.  Lay American cheese slices on top of meat.  
4.  Roll out crescent rolls, squeezing together the creases so it's one large square.  Place on top of cheese.  
5.  Spread milk over crescent rolls and sprinkle with sesame seeds.  
6.  Cut a few small slits in crescent roll dough to give steam a place to escape.
7.  Bake 25-30 minutes.




1 comment:

  1. That looks absolutely mouthwatering. I want to put down my oatmeal and make immediately.

    ReplyDelete

Make my day...leave a comment