January 23, 2013

The Weather Outside is Frightful

UUHHH!  Winter has arrived here in Va. Beach.  Temperatures plummeted yesterday to the lowest we have had in two years.  You Northerners will probably scoff at the fact that our highs were in the low-30's, but around here, that's bitter.
Needless to say, we plan to spend a lot of time inside the next few days.  Luckily, I have been busy beautifying our abode for winter and will now have it to enjoy.  In reality, beautifying may not be the appropriate term.  I can't help it...to me, winter is bare, so my winter decor kind of reflects that sentiment.  Here's our mantle for evidence:
  I went with a gray and white color scheme (with a couple touches of blue for some fun).  Everything I used was previously owned...either from last year's mantle or Levi's birthday party decor.  I did create the yarn-wrapped H monogram specifically for the mantle, but I had the H and yarn already on hand so our grand total of mantle costs still rings in at free.  Honestly, I don't know if I love it, but then again, that could just be my issues with winter... I mean, how do you make winter pretty?
I used some of my left over stuff from last year around the living room for some extra touches.  
Epsom salt votives:
And yarn balls (notice how the boys have had a bit of fun with them over the past couple of days) and Mercury glass votives:
And I did manage to improve last year's winter wreath.

So there she be.  My take on winter.  Personally, I'm already counting down the days until spring arrives and we can take it down for something more cheery, head back outside for play time, and not have to take a half hour to get coats, hats, etc. on to leave the house.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day...leave a comment