August 30, 2012

Back to School

Yesterday was Colton's first day of school.  Last year, he went to a Beginnings program at the same school, and while there was some learning and stuff, this year he is actually considered to be part of the "school."  Yep,  my boy is a preschooler!
The first day of school is a BIG deal to me.  Admittedly, I kind of make a big deal over just about any occasion, but the former teacher in me believes the first day of school is extra special.  My goal was to make sure that Colton realized he was starting school, that it was a special day, and to get him excited about the whole thing.  So I came up with a few fun surprises for him to commemorate the day.
I had picked up some crayons, a school-themed book, and some MandM's (Colton's favorite) and put them in his bookbag while he was sleeping.  When he woke up, I told him the "back to school fairy" had come.  When he spotted the bow on his usually plain bookbag, his little eyes lit up.  It was just what I had been hoping for!  And he proceeded to eagerly open up his bag.




After that, I asked him if he was excited to go to school.  Every other time I had asked that question, I had gotten a "no."  This time I got a "yes!"  Coincidence maybe, but I'll take it!
Once he was dressed and ready to head out, we, of course, had to stop on the front step for our first day of school pictures.  He refused to wear his bookbag or hold my sign, but I still managed to snap something that would do.
And even managed to get one of the two brothers.

Nothing screams "special day" like having treats (right?), so for breakfast, we (Josh met us there) decided to take Colton to Dunkin' Donuts and let him have a doughnut (duh) for breakfast.



And then it was time to drop him off...where, of course, his corny mom had to take even more pictures!




And finally, continuing on our treat theme, I made a special cake for him to have after dinner that night.




I'm thinking he definitely got the vibe that it was a special day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day...leave a comment