October 7, 2011

Pumpkin Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting

I don't usually post more than one recipe in a week, but this little jewel was just too good not to share ASAP.  Plus, there's a semi-fun little story behind it.
You see, last week I took my one hour gestational diabetes test (if you've never been preggers before, you drink a sweet drink that everyone says is nauseating, but I don't seem to have an issue with it (I guess I consume too much sweet stuff on the regular), sit for an hour and then they take your blood).  The one hour test is really nothing...the three hour one; that's a pain in the arse (same thing, but you sit for 3 hours, with them taking your blood every hour on the hour)!  I should know...I had to go take it when I was pregnant with Colton.  Whether it was because I failed it with Colton, or because our family has a pretty extensive diabetes history, or just because I believe I have pretty bad luck, I firmly believed I was going to fail this one hour version and once again be forced into enduring the 3 hour one.  Well, lo and behold...I passed!!!!  In fact, I only passed by one point...the nurse practitioner originally called to say she would be more comfortable if I took the 3 hour one just in case (really?!?), but luckily my doctor overturned that decision saying that they make benchmarks for a reason and I was safe (totally agreed).
Sooooo...I was in the mood to celebrate.  And what is the best way for a pregnant girl to celebrate not being a diabetic?  Well, to bake some sugary cookies, of course. But these are more than just cookies.  They are quite possibly the best introduction to the season E.V.E.R!  In just one attempt, they have skyrocketed to the top of my fall staples list, and I know I will be making them for many years to come.
Pumpkin Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting
Cookies:
  • 1 cup shortening
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 can pumpkin
  • 5 cups flour
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 3 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 2 tsp. baking soda
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
Frosting:
  • 2 x 8oz. cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
1.  Preheat oven to 350.
2.  Blend shortening and sugar until creamy.  Beat in eggs.  Add pumpkin and flour gradually.  Stir in vanilla, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
3.  Bake 10-12 minutes.
4.  While baking, make frosting by creaming cream cheese and butter together.  Gradually add in powdered sugar.  Mix in vanilla extract.
5.  Let cookies cool completely before frosting. 

This recipe makes a TON of cookies (like 50+), so be warned!  But seriously, they are absolutely delicious and perfect for fall.  I wholeheartedly recommend that you round up the supplies this weekend (if you can find pumpkin...my grocery store was just getting its first shipment in on the day I went to buy it...did you know it's only sold seasonally?!?!) and get baking.  Let me know if you do and what you think!

Happy weekend!



2 comments:

  1. These look dangerously delicious! I'm going to have to try them... in a smaller batch so I don't eat them all. Haha. Thank you for posting! Hope you have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delicious. I've been looking for a good pumpkin cookie so I can't wait to make them.

    ReplyDelete

Make my day...leave a comment