September 27, 2011

The Perfect Fall Side Dish

Even though we have only had a very small taste of actual fall weather around here (like 2 days a couple of weeks ago), I have found myself eager to embrace the season: the decor, the clothes, and most of all, the food.  I'm sure you all would agree that apples just scream fall.  While we are usually a vegetable side dish type of family, we make sure to make an exception for this easy, delicious fall recipe.  We usually pair it with pork, but I'm sure it has plenty of other places (like on ice cream?!?) as well.
my goodness, terrible camera doesn't do these guys justice

Sauteed Apples
  • 4 Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch slices 
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 2 tsp. cornstarch
  • 1/2 cup cold water
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1.  In large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.  Add apples.  Cook, stirring constantly for 6-7 minutes.
2.  Dissolve cornstarch in water.  Add to saucepan.  Stir in brown sugar and cinnamon.  Let boil for 2 minutes, and then remove from heat.  Let cool some before serving.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day...leave a comment