April 12, 2011

Asparagus Carbonara

Unfortunately I don't like many vegetables...I blame it on my mom's serving of canned vegetables when I was a child (she loves when I say that).  But in recent years I have tried very hard to expand my choices, and asparagus luckily has passed the test as one vegetable that I actually do like...woohoo!  Spring is asparagus's prime season (from what I've read), so I figured this was a good time to share with you one of our favorite main dishes.  Asparagus Carbonara features asparagus obviously, but also yummy things like pasta, bacon, cheese, and eggs into a different, filling, easy, and tasty meal. 
To make it, you'll need:
  • 2 eggs
  • 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 lb. spaghetti (we use the Plus or whole-wheat kind)
  • 1 bunch asparagus, cut into 3-4  inch pieces
  • 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
  • 5 slices bacon, chopped (we use turkey bacon)
  • 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1/4 cup white wine
First, make your pasta by following the directions on the box.
At the same time, roast your asparagus in a preheated 450 degree oven for 10 minutes.  They will look something like this once you're done:
Again, at the same time, beat the eggs and combine it with the Parmesan cheese:
Next, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add the bacon and cook until it's crisp.  Stir in the garlic.  Add wine and cook one minute.
Finally, take everything: the pasta, the cheese/egg mixture, the asparagus, and the bacon and combine it in a bowl.  Mix well and devour!
Try it and let me know what you think:)

And if you haven't entered the giveaway yet, be sure to check it out here.

3 comments:

  1. The egg mixture is not cooked? I've never made (or eaten, come to think of it) a carbonara.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm convinced asparagus and pasta belong together =) This looks absolutely delicious!

    Just entered your giveaway! I'm your newest follower! Head over and enter mine if ya have a chance! <3

    xoXOxo
    Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love asparagus. That looks so good, it's making me hungry.

    ReplyDelete

Make my day...leave a comment