February 3, 2011

Iron On Border

OOOOHHHH...I know the suspense has been killing you.  So, here I am with the reveal of what I did to jazz up my calendar wall (for details on how it was accomplished you can click here) .  When I last left you, the calendar was looking a little lot lackluster.


It needed some pizazz to say the least.  I had recently read a post on How About Orange (awesome blog, by the way) on adhering fabric to the wall by ironing.  Well, first you have to use a product called Stiffen Stuff.  It looks like this:

I reasoned if it worked on fabric, it would also work on ribbon, and ribbon I decided would make a perfect snazzed up border for my lame calendar. So...first, I measured out how long and wide my calendar was and cut the ribbon appropriately.  Next, I sprayed and sprayed and sprayed my ribbon some more.  I wanted to get it thoroughly wet, which I accomplished (yay me!).  Well, once it was wet, it was time for it to dry and because patience is not one of my strongsuits, I whipped out my trusty hair dryer.  Well, it did the trick.  After a few minutes of drying my ribbon, it was nice and stiff (hehehe...I know, grow up Michelle).

OK, so with my stiff, paperlike ribbon, I took to my wall calendar.  To get the ribbon to stick directly to the wall, I just ran my iron over it.  I found that slow and steady seemed to win the race in this one!  And guess what?  It stuck!  That, and I removed it just for fun and to see what would happen...it peels off super easy if you want/need to and leaves no mark...hooray!

The black and white ribbon alone still weren't quite setting my heart aflutter, so I had to take it one step further.  I had this super cute yellow ribbon.  Enter trusty glue gun again (I love that guy).  I just ran the glue gun down the center of each strip of black and white ribbon and stuck the yellow ribbon right to the other ribbon.   
OK...so you ready for the final product now?
And a close up for you:

Whew!  Mission accomplished.  Now we are nice and organized, well at least in theory.  What do you all think?

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I LOVE this!!! What a fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great idea! And the border is the perfect touch :)
    http://texagermanadian.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Michelle, Abby F. suggested your blog. I love it. It is hilarious. You might be my new hero.
    I have two kids, two dogs, a hubby, and I teach also.
    I also have a dip you will love at your superbowl party. So here it is:
    *2 10oz cans of chicken...(Ew. Boil 1-lbs of chicken breast and shred it. That is what I do.)
    *About 1/4 to 1/2 cup Frank's Red Hot Sauce
    *1-2 packages of cream cheese (I use low/no fat because I can't afford new pants.)
    *1/4 to 1/2 cup Ranch (Feel free to use the skinny versions.)
    *A lot of Cheddar Cheese... 1-2cups but is there such thing as too much

    Get a saucepan and heat chicken with hot sauce. When mixed evenly, add cream cheese, ranch, and cheddar but save some to top the dip. I would then recommend putting it in a mini slow cooker.
    Serve with club crackers and celery.

    Enjoy! Thanks for sharing your funness.

    Lindsey (Hall) Comfort
    *Trantwood
    *Cox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay... perhaps I should have checked out your recipes prior to posting...
    Still.. love your blog.

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete

Make my day...leave a comment