This pasta pie is tasty and relatively light (I calculated it at about 450 calories for a generous serving). I was a little worried it would be time-consuming (with having to stand each noodle up and all), but it was a surprisingly quick process, which made the whole thing a breeze to make. Considering you use a whole pound of pasta, it does make a whole bunch. We're not big leftover people, but if you are, this could literally feed you all week!
- 1 pound rigatoni
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup Parmesan
- 8 oz. mozzarella (I used part-skim)
1. Cook pasta until slightly underdone. When done, toss pasta with 1 tbsp. olive oil and set aside
2. Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add beef. Cook until browned. Add garlic, salt, and pepper. Cook two minutes. Add crushed tomatoes. Simmer 20 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400.
3. Toss pasta with Parmesan. Butter springform pan and fill with the pasta, standing each noodle up and packing tightly. Again, this sounds ridiculous, but was actually a pretty quick process.
4. Spread the meat sauce on top, pushing sauce through to fill each hole.
5. Bake for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese and bake 10-15 minutes more, until bubbly.
6 Let stand 15 minutes. Run a knife along the perimeter to loosen.